Have you recently taken on a beautiful orange Kitten? This post is packed full of ginger cat names to help you pick the perfect one.
From classic names all the way through to the very unique names for ginger kittens, we have put together an extensive list to help you pick out the perfect new addition.
Take a look at our list of good names for ginger cats below (and be sure to let us know which you choose!)
Other posts which may help:
- The best names for black and white cats
- Disney Cat Name Inspiration
- Travel inspired pet names
- Alcohol inspired cat names
- Japan-inspired cat names
- Pokemon cat names
Top Ginger Cat Name Ideas
Unisex ginger cat names
- Puss (in boots)
- Rooi (Afrikaans for red)
- Rue (The star of this blog!)
- Tiger – Check out some more Tiger cat names
- Tikka (Masala)
Female ginger cat names
- Alani (Hawaiian for the orange tree)
- Bonnie (Weasley)
- Florence (Welch)
- Jessica (Rabbit)
- Nubit (Egyptian for Golden Lady)
- Roisin (little rose)
- Rose (Wild Rose)
- Sansa (Game of Thrones)
Boys names for ginger cats
- Finn (Irish for fire)
- Thomas ( O’Malley)
- Tony (The Tiger)
- Toulouse – (Find more Disney Cat name inspiration)
- Vincent (Van Gogh)
Names for Ginger Tabbys
- Shere Khan
- Woods (Tiger Woods)
Paired ginger Cat Names
- Dorito and Nacho
- Fred and George (Weasley)
- Ron and Bonnie (Weasley)
- Sansa and Stark (Game of Thrones)
- Cayenne and Saffron
- Rock and Roll
- Bumble and Bee
Travel inspired name for Ginger Cats
Do you love to travel? Why not pick a travel-inspired name for your ginger kitten?
- Byrce (Canyon)
Tips for helping your cat learn their name
Cats are very intelligent animals but it can take time for them to learn their name, so it is important to be patient. During the naming period be sure to only use their chosen name positively and during positive experiences such as petting and receiving treats.
Say their name gently and softly. Avoid high pitched voices, aggressive tones or shouting. A negative experience with their name could lead to them associating their name with a bad experience.
We often end up having various names for our cats. They can get shortened or over time, as we learn their personalities more, nicknames will form. However, it is important during the learning period only their full name is used (for example, if the cat is called Baymax only call them this while learning, do not interchange between Baymax, Bay, Max, etc) this will help prevent confusion.
Each time your cat responds to their name reward them! This can be with either a tasty treat or their favorite toy.
Ideally, you will not want to let your cat outside until you are confident they will respond to their name. However, to ease any concerns you may also want to look into getting your cat a GPS Cat Tracker Collar.
Fun facts about Ginger cats
- Only about 1 in 5 gingers cats is a female
- Ginger cats are said to have the most easy-going temperaments of all the cat colors
- Winston Churchill famously owned a ginger cat called Tango
- Ginger cats are often referred to as ‘ginger tabbies’, however, this is not a recognized breed, just a coat variation.
If you choose one of the Ginger cat names from this list then be sure to let us know!
- Looking for some fun? Take on our ultimate cat quiz to test your knowledge.
- Find out our favourite cat hacks which include how to keep your cats away from your favourite house plants.
- At Ginger Cat House we always support adoption first, here are our favourite charities to adopt a cat in London. We are also strongly against and would never advise buying a pet on GumTree.
- If you are taking on a new cat check out all of my top-rated essentials for a new kitten.
- Finally, our favourite cat backpacks and our cat’s favourite ever toy.